Minneapolis Criminal Defense Attorney

If you have been charged with a crime, you need an experienced attorney with a solid reputation in the criminal defense field. I have represented hundreds of clients on criminal matters, and I have extensive experience in the 12 counties in and around the Twin Cities.  I offer reasonable rates, payment plans, and free initial consultations, and I accept credit card payments.  Contact me for a free case evaluation.

I regularly & successfully represent clients with the following cases:

  • DWI and drunk driving
  • Drug possession and sale charges
  • Assault and domestic abuse charges
  • Theft charges
  • Gun charges, including felon-in-possession
  • Sex crimes
  • All felonies, gross misdemeanors and misdemeanors
  • Jury trials
  • Traffic violations and speeding
  • Driving after cancellation/revocation

"Experience matters - ask me how I can help."

Let us help today

Call us today at (612) 730-1738 to begin discussing your case.

What one of our clients had to say:

“Josh was very friendly and down to earth right from the start. He explained things clearly and thoroughly, and always kept me at ease. He was able to expedite my case sooner than expected, and with a very favorable outcome. My family and I are very grateful!”

Criminal Defense Client

Frequently Asked Questions

I have been charged with a serious crime that calls for a presumptive commit to prison. Can you help me avoid prison in this situation?

I have handled many 1st and 2nd degree felony and prison commit cases. In these cases it is essential to find a way to avoid a prison sentence. In many cases, clients may benefit from motioning for a downward departure from a guideline sentence. Even in very serious cases, I have successfully motioned the court to change prison sentences to jail sentences of a year or less.

Do you have experience representing clients with mental health concerns?

I have handled many cases where the mental health of the client was a central circumstance in the representation. In these cases, we strive to help the courts understand our client’s special circumstances and needs. Often, my client’s mental health status becomes a critical element in the defense of their case.

My son or daughter has a drug problem and has been arrested on a possession charge. What can be done to help them get treatment and protect their future?

In many cases, for first-time drug offenders, I can help keep permanent felony charges from going onto a client’s record. I can also recommend resources to help individuals address addiction and chemical dependency.

My loved one has been arrested and taken into custody. How do I go about getting them out?

When someone is taken into custody, they must usually be charged or released within 36 hours of their detention. This does not include weekends and holidays. That means it is often true that those arrested on a Friday evening will not see a judge or even be charged until Monday morning. You can call the Sheriff’s office to inquire if bail or bond is set before court.

I don’t want the offense I have been accused of to appear on my record. Is that possible?

There are many ways to reduce the impact of a charge on a person’s criminal record. Many of my past clients have been able to resolve their cases without a conviction appearing on their records. Call me today to discuss the particulars of your case.

Am I going to go to jail?

Generally speaking, first-time offenders do not serve jail time on low-level misdemeanor cases. However, aggravating circumstances can make serving jail time a possibility, because prosecutors and judges do take a defendant’s record into account when reviewing the offense at hand. I can tell if you jail is probable in your case during my free initial consultation. The basic sentencing parameters for offenses in Minnesota are:

Petty Misdemeanor Offenses- A petty misdemeanor is not a crime. The maximum punishment for a petty misdemeanor is a $300 fine plus any surcharges the county may add. You cannot go to jail for a petty misdemeanor.

Misdemeanor Offenses- A misdemeanor is punishable by a maximum fine of $1,000 and up to 90 days in jail.

Gross Misdemeanor Offenses- A gross misdemeanor is punishable by a maximum fine of $3,000 and/or up to 90 days in jail.

Felony Offenses- A felony carries a possible sentence of at least 366 days in jail and a maximum fine that is greater than $3,000.

Do I need a lawyer?

This is a difficult question to answer, because even the smallest cases can have significant consequences. However, it is safe to say that most people should hire or at least consult with an attorney if they are charged with a crime (a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor or felony). I advise anyone who has been charged with an offense to call me so we can discuss the details of the case to determine if counsel is necessary. My initial consultation is always free.

Will I have to go to court?

If you have been charged with a crime of any kind (with the exception of some low-level traffic tickets) you will likely have to go to court.

Petty misdemeanors are not crimes and you do not have to attend court to resolve them. To resolve a petty misdemeanor, you can generally call the court administrator in the county in which a ticket was issued and either pay a fine by phone or meet with a hearing officer to discuss the ticket. You can also call the court administrator in the county where the alleged offense occurred and ask if there is a court date scheduled for the case.

Have I been charged with a crime?

If you have been charged with a crime, the State must provide you notice by handing or mailing you a ticket (in misdemeanor cases), or a complaint (in felony or gross misdemeanor cases). If you have not received either of these, then you have not yet been charged with any crime.

Should I talk to the police?

If you are the suspect in an investigation, you should not speak with any law enforcement officer without speaking to an attorney first. The primary goal of law enforcement is to build a case strong enough to send to the local prosecutor for charging.

If you are asked questions by the police, tell them that you would like to call your attorney before talking, and call me for legal advice at 651-785-5342.